Committee on U.S.-Latin American Relations (CUSLAR)
Office location: 316 Anabel Taylor Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA.
Temporary mailing address: 915 N. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850, USA.
A project of the Center for Transformative Action (CTA)
Seeking part-time Coordinator
Mission: The Committee on U.S.-Latin American Relations (CUSLAR) seeks to promote peace, justice and mutual understanding among the people of the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean. The members of CUSLAR are a diverse group of people united in our concern about the role of the United States in the social, political and economic affairs of the region. CUSLAR supports the right of the people of Latin America and the Caribbean to self-determination and control over decisions that affect their lives and communities. CUSLAR is a project of the Center for Transformative Action (CTA).
Job title: Coordinator.
Reports to: The CUSLAR Advisory Board and Anke Wessels, Executive Director of the Center for Transformative Action (CTA).
Summary of responsibility: The Coordinator will receive initial training and then have overall operational responsibility for CUSLAR’s programs and execution of its mission. The Coordinator is responsible for following all CTA fiscal sponsorship policies and procedures, in close communication with the Advisory Board.
- Plan and oversee educational programming, including guest speakers, events, Spanish classes and films.
Budget and finance
- Fundraising, donor relations and university department relationships for maintenance of financial stability of the organization
- Maintain CUSLAR’s communications presence online and through print media, prioritizing the twice-annual CUSLAR Newsletter.
- Supervise work-study students, language instructors and volunteers, and ensure that procedures for affiliation with CTA and university entities are maintained.
- Receive supervision and guidance from the CUSLAR Advisory Board and CTA staff.
Hours and compensation: Fifteen hours a week. Compensation commensurate with experience, $15-17/hr. CTA is a living-wage employer.
Qualifications: The CUSLAR Coordinator will demonstrate their commitment to CUSLAR’s mission of contributing to peace, justice and mutual understanding in the hemisphere and have strong working knowledge of Latin America and U.S.-Latin American relations. Candidates should have leadership, mentoring, communications and language experience and cultural competency.
Specific requirements include:
- Commitment to quality programs and evaluation
- Ability to manage multiple projects, initiatives and relationships simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail in bookkeeping and finance
- Experience and interest in supervising and mentoring undergraduate students
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude and self-directed
- Written and oral Spanish or Portuguese language proficiency
Direct Reports: Work-study students, 5-8 hours a week during fall and spring semesters. Coordinator works with Cornell Community Work-Study Program to approve student hours.
Equal Opportunity: Center for Transformative Action (CTA) is an equal opportunity employer. Employees are hired based on their merit, ability, experience, and training without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, age, mental or physical ability, size, religious affiliation, or genetic makeup. We are committed to being an inclusive organization and encourage people from diverse communities to apply.
For more information about CUSLAR, please visit cuslar.org.
How to apply
Please send resume and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a writing sample detailing why you want to work at CUSLAR, and what you consider to be major issues facing Latin America today.
Deadline: Sunday, May 16, 2021.
Interviews will happen in May and the position will start in June 2021.
No phone calls, please — questions can be sent to email@example.com.